The 26th of August is a special day for man’s best friend; it’s International Dog Day! Every year, all around the world, pet parents celebrate their canine companions in the best way possible. We take the time to appreciate these beautiful animals and recognise all the love and happiness they bring to our lives.
A Brief History
Colleen Paige, a Pet & Family Lifestyle Expert and Animal Advocate, created the dog holiday in 2004. Her goal was to encourage adoption for all dogs that need a home. She chose the 26th of August because it marks the day her family adopted her Sheltie when she was ten years old.
Now on its 16th year, the International Dog Day helps put the focus on the growing number of dogs that need a loving home. There are so many dogs in public shelters and rescue dogs that have gone through extremely abusive situations.
The day also honours all dogs that provide their unwavering service to humans. There are the family pet dogs that bring joy to our homes and guide dogs that become companions of the disabled. There are also law enforcement dogs that keep us safe by detecting bombs, drugs and pulling victims out of unfortunate wreckage and tragedies.
Here Are 10 Ways To Celebrate International Dog Day
- Give them a home spa treatment – bath, massages, cuddles.
- Wear matching T-shirts, perhaps with your dog’s face on it.
- Buy them a fun toy that they can play.
- Bake a delicious and nutritious doggie treat.
- Organise a virtual dog party with pet owners in your neighbourhood.
- Watch a dog movie together.
- Go for a long walk in a new environment.
- Have a celebrity-style photo shoot.
- Donate to a dog charity/shelter of your choice.
- Share your home, expand your family – Adopt a dog!
Australia is no doubt a country of furball lovers. Out of 29 million pets in the country, 40% are dogs. It’s no wonder that Australians will go all out to celebrate International Dog Day. These wonderful animals deserve to be appreciated and loved every day.
What about you, what’s your special treat for your fur buddy to celebrate their special day?
Please feel free to read more pet blogs HERE.