Are you ready to share your home with a beautiful fur baby and become a pet parent? Learning more about dog breeds and their characteristics can help you choose the right one for you and your family.
Here Are 5 of Australia’s Most Popular Dog Breeds And Their Characteristics
- Size: Small, Toy Group
- Height: 18-24 cms
- Weight: 3-4 kgs
- Characteristics: The tiny Maltese looks aristocratic with their soft, silky white, floor-length hair. They are charming, sweet, obedient and devoted to their carers. Although they look delicate, they are very playful and can have heaps of energy.
- Size: Medium, Sporting Group
- Height: 54-57 cms
- Weight: 24-33 kgs
- Characteristics: Labradors or Labs (as they are commonly known) are one of the most popular and loved dog breeds not just in Australia, but around the world. They are sturdy and muscular in build, with a short, water-repellent coat. They are energetic and need to be taken on brisk walks and jogs regularly. They are kind-natured and intelligent, with a strong desire to please — characteristics that make them great guide dogs and assistance dogs.
Staffordshire Bull Terrier
- Size: Medium, Terrier Group
- Height: 35-40 cms
- Weight: 17 kgs
- Characteristics: Nicknamed as the “nanny dog”, the Staffordshire Bull Terrier has a reputation as the perfect child’s companion and playmate. Despite their tough, stocky and fierce appearance, this smooth-coated dog breed is gentle and well-behaved. They can be aggressive to other dogs but friendly to humans – so friendly to human, they run the risk of being stolen by strangers.
- Size: Medium, Herding Group
- Height: 46-56 cms
- Weight: 12-20 kgs
- Characteristics: The most prominent feature of Border Collies is their moderately long and shiny double coat that comes in a variety of hues and patterns. Regarded as the most intelligent dog, they are motivated to learn and they thrive on working for long periods. These dogs are affectionate and need a lot of bonding time and attention from their owners. They love physical exercise, training and they are always in search of something to do, to stimulate them.
- Size: Large, Herding Group
- Height: 55-65 cms
- Weight: 22-40 kgs
- Characteristics: Initially aloof but not aggressive, German Shepherds are recommended for families with older children. They are gentle family pets and ardent guardians. They are good with kids, but should not be left alone with little ones because they can be too playful. They are loyal, confident and considered as one of the most intelligent dog breeds.
Research On Dog Breeds And Their Characteristics Before Becoming A Pet Parent
Dogs are considered “man’s best friend” because they are lovely companions and fun to be around. Taking care of them can bring so much joy and happiness. However, it’s best to find out more about dog breeds and their characteristics to make sure your new family pet is the best fit.
Do you love articles like this? Read more Pet Angel Blogs.